You’re probably already aware that having a proper diet will contribute to better physical and mental health – eat well to stay well. But remember that the health of your teeth and gums also relies on your nutritional choices. Certain foods and drinks should be consumed in moderation as they can lead to cavities and gum disease. Sugar is the number one culprit when it comes to poor oral health, but high acid content also leads to tooth decay.
The following foods and drinks can contribute to oral health issues:
- Gum, candy, and sweet snacks are high in sugar content
- Bread, crackers, and chips are highly processed, carbohydrate-heavy items that leave food particles which bacteria forms on
- Caramel and jelly beans are among the sticky and chewy foods that are hard to brush away
- Lemons and wine are examples of items with high acidity that causes teeth erosion
- Sodas and sports drinks contain large quantities of sugar and are acidic
To care for your teeth, consume these items occasionally as a treat rather than as a dominant part of your diet. Make nutritious choices from each of the five major food groups and a beautiful smile will be your reward.